Friday, October 16, 2009

Email Isn’t Dead- But It Is Broken

Friendly Computers found this article to be quite interesting. With all the websites like Twitter, Facebook and many others, this guy seems to think that are email days are over.

 

e-mail_icon

PCMag.com's managing editor for software, Sean Carroll, just got back from that rare place few of us can imagine these days: a two-week vacation. We got by without him, his reviews posted, and he only lost one staffer (his senior editor, Matt Murray, just took the reins at ExtremeTech.com). He returned refreshed and reenergized, only to discover an inbox box of 2,200 messages! E-mail, that revolutionary advance in human productivity, is sucking our time. E-mail is, to be blunt, broken. And it is going to take some new technologies, and some changes in human behavior, to save it.

Just this week, The Wall Street Journal, hardly a hot bed of techno-radicalism, ran a story suggesting that e-mail's days are numbered. With the advent of Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr, sending a plain old e-mail seems not just dated, but ineffective. If you sent Sean Carroll an e-mail over the last two weeks, you know what I am talking about. It was once poor etiquette not to return an e-mail. Now most of us can honestly say we missed it. Personally, I get 300-400 e-mails a day, (I send about 30)—can you blame me if I missed one, especially if it is from an address I have never seen before?

Now, I should probably admit that I have mixed feelings about e-mail. One of my earliest stories at PCMag was 50 Reasons Not to Send that E-mail. I came up with a lot more than just 50. My biggest problem with e-mail, however, is that people just send too much of the stuff. It's sometimes a result of misdirected manners: I can't resist typing "thanks" and hitting Send. But most of the e-mail I receive is just useless—press releases, random story pitches, line edits on a story, press releases, obscure-newsletters-I-never-signed up-for, press releases, office joke threads. (Okay, I have chimed in on some of those, too.) Honestly, keeping a heavy finger on the Delete key can resolve a lot of these annoyances and keep your inbox free.

Let's not forget that, at its core, e-mail is a form of mail. Mail used to take three to four business days, now it takes three to four seconds. Too many people measure their importance based on how many e-mails they read, and their self-worth on how many e-mails they send. We have hit the tipping point: we can no longer read all the e-mail we create. Technology can help. And it will.—Next: The Wall Street Journal Is Right >

The Wall Street Journal is right (...gulp, did I just type that?). We are creating a new communication vocabulary, an evolving new media vernacular. Instant messaging is used for real-time cube-to-cube messages. If it is just office gossip, and I'm busy, I can ignore it. Texting is a great way to communicate point-to-point, and I can respond instantly or hours later. Best of all, you have to know my number to reach me, and I don't spread it around. Social networks like Twitter and Facebook are great for broadcast communications, and, when I have time, more direct conversations. It is impossible to call all of my old friends every week, but a few minutes here and there on Facebook, and we can keep in touch. I think there is a phone in my office as well, but I am pretty sure it just makes outbound calls.

I am currently testing a host of software tools designed to help you manage your e-mail. Xobni works with Outlook to provide context to all of your e-mail communications. When someone sends me an e-mail, Xobni shows me their most recent e-mails, social network profiles, any attachments they have sent me, and most importantly, their photo, pulled from LinkedIn. Just seeing the face of the individuals I am e-mailing is a wonder. I am also looking a Gwabbit, a small app that sucks up the signature information at the bottom of e-mails and drops it into a Contact file. I am still testing, but so far it's amazing.

Then there is Google Wave, Google's attempt to combine e-mail, IM, search, collaboration software, photo management, and about a dozen other applications. Despite seeing and participating in lots of demos, Google Wave is a technology that you have to use to understand. It is like trying to explain Facebook to someone who has never logged on. We are just starting to use Wave at the office, so I will report back when I understand it better.

Given my job, I am a huge fan of technological solutions, but fixing e-mail is going to require some serious behavioral modification. We need to rethink how we use e-mail. It isn't a real-time communication tool, and shouldn't be used as one. It may seem like we can send and receive an infinite supply of e-mail, but we can't. Sending a lot of e-mail doesn't make you more productive—in fact, it makes everyone else less productive. Choose your e-mails carefully, for you own productivity and sanity. And for mine, too.

Source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354216,00.asp